For Your Safety
- Come prepared for exploring the outdoors at Gettysburg. It is especially important to stay hydrated, dress for the changing weather and be mindful of insects such as ticks.
- Security Guards. With the ever-changing level of security being incorporated at museums and parks around the country, we have proactively activated additional security. They will help ensure the safety of all visitors to this complex, which accommodates close to a million visitors each year.
- Weapons are not allowed in the Museum and Visitor Center or on the property at the Museum and Visitor Center.
- First aid/medical attention is available. Ask any Gettysburg Foundation staff or NPS employee for assistance.
- Lost children or adults should report to the Park Information Desk for assistance.
- Wheelchairs can be obtained at the Park Information Desk.
- Smoking, including e-cigarettes, as well as vaping is permitted ONLY in the smoking areas located at the flag pole plaza, bus parking lot and in personal vehicles.
- Shoes and shirts are required at all times.
- Loud sound effects from the Cyclorama painting narration and movie include realistic cannon fire and battle sound effects, as well as dynamic lighting.
- Access to the Cyclorama painting requires the use of an escalator, unless special accommodations are required.
- Service dogs are welcome; pets are not allowed in the Visitor Center. Please be aware that there is little to no shade in any of the three parking lots adjacent to the Visitor Center and it is the policy of the Gettysburg Foundation that pets may not be left unattended in vehicles in these lots. Read the complete National Park Service pet policy and recommendations.
Backpacks are not permitted inside the Museum and Visitor Center at Gettysburg National Military Park. Please have your groups store their large bags on their buses before entering the facility. We appreciate your cooperation.
The use of bicycles is allowed on the roadways and parking lots at the Museum and Visitor Center. For the safety of others, they are not permitted on the sidewalks or walking paths.
Bicycles are to be parked at the racks provided for your convenience in Bay #1 of Parking Lot #1. They are not permitted to be locked to the building, trees or signs.
Campfires & Grilling
The lighting or maintaining of fires, including propane grills, is prohibited under any circumstances on the Museum and Visitor Center property.
Lost & Found
Items may be brought to or identified and claimed at the National Park Service Information Desk. To check on lost items, please call the Museum and Visitor Center at 717-334-1124.
We have family restrooms in the Main &; Group Lobbies. For the comfort and convenience of nursing mothers, we also offer special accommodations in our Lactation Lounge located in the lower level. Please ask for assistance at the Information Desk or Ticket Counter.
Handicap parking is located in Parking Lot #1.
Handicap drop offs are located in the following areas:
Museum and Visitor Center Map
Camping trailers can be disconnected from the vehicle towing them and parked in the Bus Parking Lot. At least two wheels must be chocked.
The disconnecting and parking of a tractor’s trailer is not permitted.
All trailers, RVs and buses MUST park in the Bus Parking Lot.
GREEN parking is available in the Bus Parking Lot.
The following designated areas are the perfect backdrop for pausing to enjoy a picnic meal or snack:
- Bus Parking Lot picnic area
- Parking Lot #1 picnic areas
- Ranger Station #3 picnic area
Our staff in our Refreshment Saloon follows all health regulations that ensure food safety standards for the protection of you and your family. To ensure the well-being and safety of our visitors, food from outside sources may not be consumed on the patio and in restaurant areas. The public is prohibited from consuming packed lunches or meals in the lobbies.
In the event of inclement weather, the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum and Visitor Center may either be closed or it may open later or close earlier than regular operating hours. Additionally, in the event of heavy snow or severe storms, certain roads at Gettysburg National Military Park may be closed. Call 717-338- 1070 or 717-334- 1124 to listen to inclement weather messages and check for closings and delays. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.